Loose Steering Wheel

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loose Steering Wheel
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:52:56 -0700
After changing my steering column I noticed about a 1/8" wobble in the
steering wheel (front and back).  At first I thought it was a problem with
the spline in the new column.  After changing steering wheels and putting
the wheel that came with the new column there was no improvement.  The wheel
still wobbles.

I checked to be sure the nut was tight and then put a finger on the wheel
and splined shaft.  When the wheel wobbles there is no movement in the
splined joint.  The movement appears to be between the adapter and wheel.
With two wheels doing this I am wondering if it is normal, or what can be
done to correct the problem, assuming it is a problem.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, Oregon
http://www.fransfancies.com/datsun