rolling fenders, w/o paint damage

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: rolling fenders, w/o paint damage
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:49:38 -0700
Ian,
there is a very good site out there with pics of doing this.  If memory is
correct I found it on a 510 site, or a link there.
If you want to save the paint, you can get real lucky, but short of that you
have to use a heat gun to soften the paint (it has cured over time and
become hard / brittle) so that when the aluminum baseball bat rolls, the
paint flexes.  The force for it comes from the bat being squished from
behind by the tire, so you want to put the car on stands, then put your jack
under the suspension so you can bring the tire up to the right height.  then
roll the bat by rolling the tire.
Hair dryers have volume but not enough heat, you need more like 150-200
degrees, and wave it around to heat the area, don't 'spot' heat it or the
spot of paint will want to crack from the surrounding.  Not as hard is it
sounds, if I am making it sound that way.  Good luck, Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,
CA