Frame/body insulator pads?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frame/body insulator pads?
From: "Damian Hall" <datsun_nut@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:03:54 -0300
Good day to you all,

Firstly, thanks to all who contribute to this list. It is both a wealth of
information and a place to escape to with like minded people.

My question concerns the 'horsehair/felt' pads that were located between the
body and frame on my two parts cars (68 and 69)

The 69 that I am attempting to resurrect came in boxes, partially assembled.
It had no pads.

I thought that rubber insulators would be preferable to 'water traps' so I got
some 1/8 inch rubber gasketing material.

Problem: It falls out....too much clearance! My gap averages 1/8-3/16 inch
between body and frame.

Question:
1. What function to these pads serve?

2. Are they really necessary?

3. What material works for you (assuming they are necessary)?

4. What material is used for the rubber insulator/washer in the body mounts?
(mine was supplied by PO, seems to be round gaskets made from tire sidewall)

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to be accurate,

Any help will be gratefully received,

Happy roadstering

Damian Hall
Pictou NS (way out east....)