Re: lurker has carb question plus carpet trick

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lurker has carb question plus carpet trick
From: Greg Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:58:10 -0700
A pair of lock ring pliers will do the trick too!  OH ya, I had another
trick to post to the list that has really helped out with my new carpet
install on a 1600.  I hate trying to cut holes in the carpet for the
seat mounting bolts, roll bar, seat belts, etc.  What I finally came up
with was, I take a nail and poke around until I find the hole, then melt
a hole in the carpet using an old soldering iron.  Works perfect every
time (and hey man, the fumes give a really GOOD high... just kidding).
Anyway, maybe others have done this already, but I thought I would post
it just in case.  I remember that someone appreciated the other post
about using a florescent bulb in your shop light... low heat, and
they don't break easily.
Greg "my brain's melting" Burrows

Thomas Walter wrote:

> On the carbs, and "old timers trick" is yarn coated with heavy grease
> and wrapped around the shafts to prevent air leaking.
>
> You realize you need SOME air leaking, other wise the shafts wouldn't
> move. So if the rpm increased when you sprayed carb cleaner on the
> shafts, not much to be alarmed about. If the rpm goes from 800 to 1400

> rpm every time you wiggle the shafts.. they really need to be
rebushed,
> but try the yard trick to get your through the rest of the summer.
>
> Not sure on your switches... but look closely at the retaining nut.
> Two little holes... special tool, but I always cheated with using a
> dental pick to tighten them... and some soft jaw pliers to remove
> stubborn ones.
>
> Tom
>
> matthew peterson wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > I don't usually write much to the list but I have a question that I
can't find the answer to myself and I was hoping someone will be able to
help me.  I have an L20b engine in my 1600 with a set of flat top sss
import carbs.  The carbs are leaking air through the throttle shaft
bushings and I need to replace them.  Does anyone out there know if
bushings for another carb would fit to replace them.  From what I can
find on the internet, Nissan USA doesn't stock any parts for these carbs
but many parts are interchangeable between other Nissan carbs and
these.  If I can't find parts to fit I'm going to have to have a machine
shop machine out some bushings and I'd rather not dish out the $$ for
that.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've been trying to get this
thing going for quite a while now and would really like to get it on the
road before winter gets here!
> > thanks,
> > Matt Peterson
> > '68 1600
> > Winona, MN
> >
> > p.s. Does anyone have a good way of getting the switches off of the
radio console?  i.e. the flasher, wiper, etc. switches.  I have the
knobs off already.