Cam Design (was Isky cams)

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Design (was Isky cams)
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:07:51 -0500
>Sid Raper:

> OK all, I will ask the question.  Why would one not want to run a cam grind
> profile that was for a different engine?  Ford Small Block engines are often
> run with cam profiles that were designed for small block Chevy motors.  351
> Windsors are run with 302 profiles and the 302 firing order - and vice versa.
> If the grind works on one engine, then presumably, it should work on another.
> True, the ports may lend themselves to a different profile, but it should
> still work as long as there was no interference and the cam followers did not
> "fall off" the cam.
>
> Do I have a fundamental misunderstanding of things here?

It should work, Sid, provided there's adequate piston to valve clearance at
max lift and maybe other things like that. The question is how well. Just
because a particular profile works well in one engine design doesn't mean
it'll work equally as well in a different design. The whole air pump
(engine) system is full of variables, from the air cleaner into the carb(s),
into the intake, the head, etc.

I guess if we set out to make a 350 Chevy and and a 351 Ford as identical as
possible you might end up wanting the same profile in both, but if you're
really trying to crank out maximum power, in the same RPM range, on each
I'll bet there'd be some differences, although they might well be fairly
small. Remember all of the hassles that the Penske shop used to have
building identical motors, and cars, for the IROC series?

There are a couple of guys on the 510 list playing with some desktop dyno
apps, primarily for gathering data on the VG-30 I think, and interestingly
the computer predictions seem to be born out substantially in real world
experience. It would be interesting to swap different profiles around and
see what's predicted. It'll be a whole lot more fun when I'm able to put
some of this into practice. However I think I'll wait at least a few weeks
until the temp drops below the triple digit readings we'd had for a couple
of weeks now.

BTW, did anyone else watch the NASCAR race from the Glen yesterday? I think
Jeff Gordon might not be real happy about the start, and the end, of the
race! For some reason I get a big kick out of watching the big cars running
Watkins Glen, Sears Point and Indy. Guess it reminds me of the days watching
them at Riverside.

FWIW,
Ron