U20 SU Carb Problems

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: U20 SU Carb Problems
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

Here is my situation:
- The enginewas totally rebuilt last year and now has
about 1,000 miles on it, including a new exhaust
- The engine has SUs but I had the solex cam put in
about 25,OOO miles ago when the stock one lost it's
hard facing and were on back order, but the solex cam
was available.
- I have a set of SUs that have just been refurbished
-cleaned, re-plated, adjusted, then mailed back to me.
 They had the factory throttle shaft upgraded bodies
about 15,000 miles ago (in 1980), so the throttle
shafts were not replaced during the re-furb.
- I installed them back on and the car fired right up
- After adjusting the air-fuel mixture and balancing,
I could not get it to idle consistently at less than
1500 rpm.  After reving, the engine takes a while to
get back down to 1500.  If I try to set the idel
lower, it will slowly go below 1500, temporarily pause
at 1200 or so, then slowly drop down to about 500 and
lope
- It produces fairly good torque up to about 3500 to
4000 rpm, then it starts to flatten out with tach
slowing down and the engine tone sounding kind of
muffled.
- When I go around a corner fairly hard to the right,
I smell fuel, running out of the float overflow tubes
- It is running very rich - soot in the exhaust pipe
and an engine analyzer at the carb shop shows the UHCs
and NOs are off the scale.  I adjusted the air fuel
nut at the bottom of the carb to lean it out, which
eventually helped the exhaust readings, but they were
still too high.  The air fuel nuts where screwed all
the way in and it kept running and was still way too
rich!  After taking it home, I balanced the carbs, and
it was suddenly idling much better, droping quickly
after revving to about 750 rpm and holding fairly
well!
- The torque still flattens out over 4000.
- I took out the floats and found one with a small
crack in it, and the other sort of sounded like it had
fluid in it as well.  The guy that did my carbs thinks
that it shouldn't be a problem as even if it had a
small crack, they are filled with material and won't
hold fuel.
- The needles seem to go up and down OK without
binding and I hear an audible "click" when pushing on
the little sping loaded pin on the side of the carb

I don't know what else to do, except just buy some new
floats and try it out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks all!!!

Scott.