Panel Deadening and Sound Insulation

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Panel Deadening and Sound Insulation
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:40:22 -0500
Some time ago, either here, on the 510 list or both, there was an extended
discussion of sound deadening materials like Dyna Mat, and at least one less
expensive alternative, IIRC. I've dug through my archives without luck. I'm
hoping someone else may have saved both suggestions on the materials and how
best to use it.

I do realize that what you're trying to accomplish with the Dyna Mat is to
dampen resonances in large flat panels, not to completely cover a panel.
That gets VERY pricey. Seems to me that once you break up panel drumming
using something like Dyna Mat, you can further reduce the transfer of
outside road noise to the interior by using some sort of full coverage
insulation.

TIA,
Ron

Ronnie Day