Re: GM Alternator question

To: SPYDER62@aol.com
Subject: Re: GM Alternator question
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:10:55 -0500
You need the battery charged, and hooked up, to get a one
wire alternator to function.

To test:
A. Engine off. Measure the battery voltage.
B. Engine running, rev at least 3000 rpm. Measure battery voltage.
C. Engine running, rev the same. Turn on the lights. Measure
     voltage.

Usually at A: 13.2V
            B  14.2V (about a volt higher)
            C  13.7V (some of a drop, but still charging).

Some of the "single wire" alternators need to hit something
like 4,000 rpm before the alternator will start charging.
Once it is "on" they work fine at lower rpms.

I've also come across some "single wire" alternators that
should have a "sense" wire hooked up from the battery
stud to the "sense" terminal.

Some "single wire" alternators are really internally
regulated alternators that need two additional wires
attached. "Sense" (from the battery) and "on" from the
ignition switch through a current limiting wire or bulb!

Sigh, lots of variations on the "single wire" alternators.
Any chance their is any documentation from the PO?

Can you take a photo of the alternator... look for the
two small spade connectors? Are they there?

Uh, did I mention there is more than one way "single wire
alternators" might be hooked up?

Cheers,

Tom