Re: rad overflow tank on 1600

To: Marc Tyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Subject: Re: rad overflow tank on 1600
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:45:06 -0800
> What is the proper routing of the two lines from the radiator overflow
> tank on a 70 1600?  I'm beginning to think mine has been wrong all
> these years.

You ar correct - the lines are backwards. The way you have it right
now, you basically have no pressure cap at all.

The fitting that attaches to the bottom of the tank (it comes up
the side of the tank) attaches to the radiator 'T'. The open-air
'overflow' hose comes off the fitting that connects at the pressure cap.

The radiator itself gets filled ALL THE WAY, and the overflow tank
gets filled about half-way. As the coolant expands, it blows into
the overflow tank. When the system cools, it draws coolant back
from the overflow tank.

Side note: 7 pound radiator cap is standard. Some people use
a 4 lb. Do NOT use higher than 7 unless you're feeling really
lucky. On a 1600, the cap on the engine (thermostat tower)
is a SEALED flat cap - not a pressure cap at all.

-- John