OT FRAUD ALERT Re: Ebay Fraud Verification Process

To: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@gwi.net>
Subject: OT FRAUD ALERT Re: Ebay Fraud Verification Process
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:05:00 -0800
> Is anyone else getting this message?
>
>> Dear eBay user,
>> As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
>> reduce the instance of fraud on our website...

Yes, and it's FRAUD!

Well crafted pages that link to the 'real' eBay pages for almost
all the content - except for the crucial 'enter your personal info here'.

These scams use a well-known Internet Explorer bug that happily
masks the actual site that you are taken to. So if you cautiously
click on the link and then check the address bar, it will say 'ebay.com'
EVEN THOUGH IT ISN'T!!! (I created a proof of concept webpage to
prove to myself it works...)

Oh... there's a similar PayPal scam that links back to the same site...

-- John