Being argumentative (was: White 70 2000 on Ebay)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Being argumentative (was: White 70 2000 on Ebay)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:26:28 -0800
First, hit <delete> now if you don't want to join in a game
of Devil's Advocate

Second, this is long and hopefully entertaining. If you'e in a hurry
or don't want to be entertained, hit <delete>.

Third, Sid I've never met you but I like you. So this is NOT
a missive against what you said, please don't construe it as one!
I'm just playing the 'black hat' for a bit :-)

> A few days ago, a white Roadster was the topic of discussion on the
> list.
> Considering that the car is about 34 years old and was considered an
> almost disposable car when new, this car is in pretty good condition...

Important point: Yes, these were disposable cars. So only
exceptional luck and/or care have preserved the remaining ones. Right
off, you have to be initially suspicious of Roadsters you find, 'cause
there's probably lots of hidden problems waiting for you.

Beware the phrase "for its age, an exceptional specimen". What does
that really mean? Either something is good, or it isn't. I have LOTS of
things that would be in great shape except they're now old and worn out.
I have a Dodge van that's in exceptional shape 'for its age', once you
realize that virtually all 10 year old teal dodge vans have lost their paint.
(Looking for a clean project? Let's negotiate offline! :-) )

Now, potentially how bad can a few incidentals be? Let's see.
> lack of an interior photo

Interiors are cheap, as long as the parts are there. Is the dash core
solid? (Harder to recover if chunks are missing). Gauges? Not horrid,
but not cheap. Knobs and switches? How's the windshield, since new
are NLA again. Bigger issue: for four grand (at least - who knows what
reserve is), I _expect_ much more info. I shouldn't have to beg for
details, they should be provided up front. A fifty buck car I expect the
seats to be missing. Four grand better have a seat, with headrest, and
IMHO not be too tattered for 'daily driver' use.

> missing trunk gasket

Could equal rotted trunk, or at least indication that the owner probably
didn't take good care of the car. Without knowing the seller, you gotta
exercise 'buyer beware' and watch for subtle signs of sloppiness. If
he didn't gasket the trunk, did he always put the top up in the rain?

> the missing aircleaner and the possibility of the smog equipment
> being improperly removed.

This is where I really worry. If they don't know what they're doing, then
who knows what damage has been done. There was a comment that the
engine makes no strange noises. Strange to who? "That rattle? Hell,
it's always done that. Nothing strange about it." Especially if some day
some dealer said somewhere "yeah, they always rattle on startup".

If they 'recurved' the distributor by simply advancing it 16 degrees,
youch! But how many people understand advance curves and max
advance? It's always important to keep in mind that the average
guy really doesn't know how things work (be it a car engine or
whatever). The really neat thing about THIS LIST is that it's full
of knowledge, of understanding, of common sense.

> Lets say that the car goes for $4000.  For another
> $1000, the issues mentioned on the car can easily be resolved.

Yes, if everything is in good shape.

But I can fairly well bet it needs new brake/clutch/oil flex lines. Probably
shocks and tires, too. A carb rebuild. Probably exhaust work.

And if the brakes are at the edge? Replace the pads (simple, right?)
and the calipers will probably leak. Before you know it, it's $600-800
for the brake hydraulics alone. Wanna talk engine? If it rattles (or
way worse, if it did rattle and someone shimmed it and so you're
misled), and this powerplant is a keeper, you're gonna dump $2-3k just
in parts into it. And I bet I bet I bet the synchros are on the edge.

lots of work. It's also a loss for the PO, and they'd be posting lots
and lots of pictures and descriptions, because they are prideful of what
they did.

At the other end, yes you MAY get a daily driver that not too many
things break on for awhile. Assuming a good body and no need for
paint, good glass, good chrome and 'just' tired mechanicals, for another
6k you can have a solid, unique car... that is still hard to get serviced,
hard to get parts for, and has the safety of a 35 year old 'disposable'
car.

BEFORE YOU FLAME: I enjoy my cars. I've owned 'em for just
about forever. I use one as a daily driver, with (knock on wood)
minimal issues. I understand their shortcomings and accept them,
and the cars and I understand each other and complement each
other (I hope). I've been offered more money than they're worth and
turned it down.

And again, I'm just expressing a pessimistic attitude in an effort to
make sure everyone remains calm and rational and detached when
deciding to spend $4,000 on _anything_.

Now, if Andrew wanted to make me a $4,000 deal on Hiro... :-)
Heck, I'd even throw in the minivan!

-- John