Re: Need dash removal tips

To: "Gary Boone" <gaboone70@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need dash removal tips
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:39:37 -0600
Gary,
      I'd pull the seats if I were you and the steering wheel.   I've done
it without pulling the entire steering column, just the plastic ignition
surround.   Then you want to pull out your radio console, arm rest console
and all the lower trim pieces to the dash.   You'll then want to pull out
the glovebox.... hopefully it won't crumble on you like mine did.
Disconnect the battery and carefully mark all your lines into the fuse
box... then disconnect all the wires into the fuse box (unless the glovebox
falls apart, but you'll have to do that anyway to replace it)     I think
there are 6 screws up top that are a b*tch to remove and 2 on each side.
Most of the wiring makes sense where it goes and all, but it takes some
small hands to get up in there to disconnect stuff.

I kinda doubt your connectors will crumble considering how nice your car is
and you keep it inside, but if they do, I know that Fairlady Products has a
complete connector set available for $30?    They also have the glovebox,
but takes a bit to build it correctly.  When you put the connectors back
together, you might get some of that bulb grease to help them not stay stuck
together.

Good luck!
Eric

> Hey roadster nuts,
> I plan to pull the dash out of my '70 2000 this weekend for various
reasons.  I recall reading it's best (or required?) to remove the steering
column first.  Is that true for the roadster or am I thinking of some Z
material I read? I'm anticipating the plastic harness connectors might
crumble when I try to disconnect them.  Any tips for avoiding destruction
and/or replacing them?  Should I remove the seats or are there no contortion
acts required?  Any advice will be well received.