Re: 2L fuel pump

To: J Sylvester <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: 2L fuel pump
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:13:03 -0600
J Sylvester wrote:

> Anyone know a vendor with a rebuild kit for a '68 2L fuel pump?

Jim,

As Mike pointed out, not all fuel pumps are rebuildable.

Take a look at your pump. Crimped edges, or do you see FOUR screws on
the "top hat" and many more down on a ledge below?  If there are screws,
do you see a "dimple" in the screw head?

There were to OEM suppliers of pumps. The kits are not interchangeable.

Of one pump, to get the old diaphragm out and replaced was pretty
simple. The other had Peened in the edges of the pivot shaft. Extreme
care in just drilling it dead on to push the shaft out, leaving enough
material to repair the new one.

I love the rebuildable pumps. Had a fuel pump "die" on me in the middle
of now where. Everything checked out OK, little fuel flow. I was able to
remove the four top screws (watch out for those SPRINGS) and check the
in and out valves. Moisture + Aluminum = aluminum oxide crystals. Yep,
just enough to prevent the valve from fully closing. Actually cleaned
everything up with a toothpick... valve seated correctly, and I was on
my way once again.

Still even IF you do buy a new pump... keep the old one! Fun to take
apart and show the kids what the mystery item really does (Usually I
would rebuild them later, and keep as a spare).

Only thing to remember... you need that spacer between the pump and
motor. If you buy a new pump, typically to gaskets come with it. Splurge
and buy a new spacer while there. Being very anal, if I find 13mm across
the flat 8mm nuts, I toss them and replace with 12mm across the nut
flats. Hmm, don't have the part number handy... but I would usually
order 50 or so from the dealer.

Tom