clutch master shims?

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch master shims?
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:19:39 -0700
Greeting's y'all,

  I just installed my 3rd clutch master in 6 yrs ;( (first replacement was new
Nissan that lasted 1.5 yrs -- probably 35 yr old 'new' seals, eh? This time
I went with a rebuilt). And once again, I can't get the clutch adjusted the
way *I* think it should be. By the time I get the pedal set even with the
brake pedal (no thanks to the rod that came with it; had to swap to previous),
and adjust the slave, there's virtually no clearance from the floor to
engagement -- which is a bit dicey on 10 deg (F) winter mornings.. Just
wondering -- is the clutch master supposed to have shims between it and the
firewall like the brake master? Seems like that might solve the problem.

Clutch is a few yrs old, and inspected during overhaul last winter (8,000
miles ago). Clutch slave and flexible hydraulic hose are newer. I swapped
the pedal out a few yrs ago too, for one with a round hole (vs. elliptical)
(I may be hard on cars :) , but I'm NOT hard on clutches; I've never had to
put a 2nd clutch in any car I've driven).

thanks,
dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co
http://www.wycroc.org