Re: spindle lock plate - front suspension

To: datsun_sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: spindle lock plate - front suspension
From: "datsun parts.com" <datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:39:52 -0800 (PST)
    No, you won't hurt anything.
     I am only going to speak from my experiance in the following, it is only
my experiance. It is what I found in doing this job.  If it rings true use it,
if not throw it away.
    Here goes: Overtightening the bushings can have the action of pulling
against the spindle threads thus binding the assembly. I have not always
encountered this on every car I renewed these parts with. I found that if I
loosened one side or the other that it would free up the assembly. How loose is
too loose? This is where the plate lock comes in. When you find the "sweet
spot"" where everything moves freely bend the tabs over to keep the bushing in
place, the plate lock indexes to the a-arm.
     I performed this on my personal vehicle and drove it daily for six years
without a issue. That's about 60,000 miles. You may have a different experiance
and their maybe other contributing info here on the list that I am not aware of
to assist you with this job. Just some of my thoughts. Dean

datsun_sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com> wrote:
hey guys,

I need someone to give me a judgment call. I asked the question about my
upper a-arms and dean helped me out. he mentioned the lock plates however I
realized I forgot to install them. can I back the bushings out and install
them without hurting the new parts. do I really need them?

thx,

mike

Do you Yahoo!?