to header or not to header, that is the question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: to header or not to header, that is the question
From: gregs672liter@netzero.net
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:40:56 GMT
Greetings list!  On the R16 race car (mild build engine, stock cam, stock
carbs, minor head work, etc.) we have the option of running the stock manifold
or removing it and putting on a header I have sitting around.  For this car, he
is actually looking for more torque than top end.  My understanding is that the
4-2-1 stock manifold is more likely to help mid range, while the 4-1 header
would help top end... thoughts or comments or experiences?  Are there major
restrictions in the stock manifold?  We are doing at least a 2 1/4" exhaust.
Thanks!
Greg