Re: Wheel bearing whine?

To: "Matt Jacquet" <matt@vander-bend.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing whine?
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:19:47 -0700
Matt,
Are you sure it is wheel bearing noise? Hitting the brakes shouldn't effect
the wheel bearing, typically you will not hear a bad wheel bearing until it
is pretty far gone and then the noise is more of a growl (lower frequency
than a whine). That said I've never heard the brakes whine either (usually a
squeal or rattle).
A simple test for the wheel bearing:
    Put a floor jack or scissors jack under the lower A-arm and raise the
wheel just off the ground.
    Then spin the wheel as fast as you can by hand and listen for odd
noises.
        Lightly place a finger on the front bumper, sometimes you can feel a
vibration from a bad wheel bearing
        Rotate the wheel slowly and listen for a faint intermittent
scrapping. Not unusual to have one of the caliper cross-over tubes bent
slightly and dragging on the wheel ID. (don't poke your head under the car
yet to inspect, you need jack stands for that)
    Grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if you can rock it,
carefully observe the back of the steering knuckle. If the wheel moves
independent of the steering knuckle, the wheel bearing may be loose.

If you plan on repacking I would carefully clean and inspect the bearings
before reassembly. Repacking may cure the noise, but if the bearing has been
damaged it will get worse even with new grease. The rollers are polished and
surface hardened, once damaged they will deteriorate quickly. If you can
track the noise down, it is best to replace the bad bearing. Check with Rod
(Rod's Discount Datsun parts 408-448-3277) he may have the seals and
bearings in stock. You will need new seals even if you just plan on
repacking. I plan on leaving for Shasta Thursday morning but will be around
in the evenings and all day Wednesday, send me a note if you want to stop by
so I can take a look.
Todd

Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA