Re: Singing the praises of the rev limiter

To: RWM@rwmann.com
Subject: Re: Singing the praises of the rev limiter
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 07:57:44 GMT
Ya'll remember a while back when I missed a shift in the Celica... 3rd to 2nd
instead of 4th, only that was at 8000 rpms and accelerating.  Ain't no rev
limiter on the planet that could have saved that sucker!  I bent all 8 exhaust
valves, some into interesting S shapes.  Glad to hear your's did not meet the
same fate.  But I can tell ya, doing a head on a '67 2000 is MUCH easier than
on a 2000 Celica GTS!
Greg Burrows
67 2000 #588

-- RWM <RWM@RWMann.com> wrote:
Glad it worked for you.  One point, however.  Electronic limiter or not,
it is possible to drive the engine beyond limits due to inertia effects
in a missed downshift, and especially with a lightened flywheel/pressure
plate.  Can't bet on a limiter to protect from that.  The limiter works
best in an un-loaded missed shift, as in an upshift to neutral.

- Bob Mann  (BTDT, got the bent valves to show for it)