Andrew's 'bash' thanks, cheap A/C found

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Andrew's 'bash' thanks, cheap A/C found
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 06:59:58 -0700
First, a big thanks to Andrew and Sheri for the great eats and getting together
some great folks.
Quite a hot day (broke 100, which is still "just gettin' there" for the Fresno
folks!) but we all survived and saw lots of "new" (Andrew, Gary W., Tim
Miner)and "Work In Process" cars. (myself and Steven and Ron)  Pam and Paul and
their garden umbrella, which probably saved us all. (certainly my scalp)
Next,  I experimented on the way home with my 'New, Lo-Cost Manual Air
Conditioner".  Several weeks back I was at Costco and they had small thermos
sized plastic containers with a manual pump on them that pressurized water, and
when you turned the valve on the end it 'mists' water out much like the water
misters you see at restaurants in Palm Springs.  Well, on the way home on
Saturday I tried it while driving, and could not believe how great it worked.
The mist would fog your sunglasses for a split second, but the accompanying
shot of cool breeze was VERY refreshing in the Hot/Dry conditions.  I think a
pair of them was 15 bucks, they were called a 'Misty Mate'.  You have to pump
them about 20 times, which isn't easy, but the first time I used it I got home
with it still pressurized, so I decided to drain it in the sink, so I turned
the valve and it took 15 minutes to drain.  (mostly
air comin' out, as Steven pointed out) That's breaks down into a lot of short
bursts.  I would highly recommend it for those long, hot, pre-planned trips.
Fergus O., 69 2000, HB, CA
PS: I can just hear the wheels turning in Daniel Neuman's head.... if I get a
propane tank and presurize it to like 650 PSI, I could mist like 8 driving
roadsters driving in a line @ 95 mph, create my own "en vivo
auto-aqua-intercooled cultural environment"... (sorry Daniel, couldn't resist!
But if ya came up with a catchy acronym, I bet you could get a gov't grant to
study it!)