Idling at 600 rpm, 1200 rpm, 1500 rpm; mine does them all, at

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Idling at 600 rpm, 1200 rpm, 1500 rpm; mine does them all, at
From: "Michael Knorr" <mhknorr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:01:03 -0600
I own a pretty much stock 1966 SPL-311 -- twin SUs, points, condensor, et al
-- that sits there and idles just about wherever (and whenever) it feels
like. Most days, it maintains between 1200 and 1500 rpm at idle -- no, the
choke's not set -- but sometimes it settles down to a polite 600 to 800 rpm.
Taking it up a couple of thousand feet in elevation to a local ski resort
sets the idle down -- which is what I would expect -- but it cranks back up
again when I return to my lower elevation home. A while back I tried to turn
the idle screw down to almost nothing and quickly remembered I'd already set
it down to almost nothing months before. I figure the idle air adjust
doesn't apply because the car occasionally does idle at its proper rpm. Does
anyone have any idea about what could be the problem? What with the gasoline
prices these days and the Roadster's habit of drinking as much gas as you
can give it, I'd like to save a bit of gas money on the thing, pretty as it
is.

Michael Knorr
1966 SPL-311