RE: Valve Clearance

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Valve Clearance
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:17:22 -0800
I've heard different people quote different numbers for this, up to .003.
One time I checked my valve clearances when the engine was cold, then
checked them again when it was hot (on the same day). I only saw about .001
difference. But I still do my valve adjustments hot.

Just for consistency sake, let me describe the procedure that I use. I make
sure the engine is up to FULL operating temperature, usually by driving it
around for a half-hour or so. Then I let the engine "heat-soak" to equalize
temperatures. Usually by the time I've thrown on the fender cover, gathered
up the necessary wrenches, disconnected the wire to the points and pulled
the cam cover, I figure that's equalized enough. Then I go through the
adjustments as quickly as I can, doing two valves then bumping the engine
over to the next position. I can usually get through all valves within about
5 minutes.

Oh, and a little tip for anyone who is having trouble getting the cam cover
gasket to seal properly: wipe it dry (and the mating surface on the head)
and apply a very thin coat of wheel bearing grease to the gasket. And don't
over-tighten the bolts.