RE: U20 Lower chain guide needed

To: roadster katman <roadster@rcn.com>, "'Paul'" <9laser3@bright.net>,
Subject: RE: U20 Lower chain guide needed
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:35:49 -0800 (PST)
Although I reinstalled the chain guide when I rebuilt my U20, it is a toss-up.
I was told that before I put the new guide back in the car, that I should run a
weld bead aliong the new one to reinforce it.  This part breaks often and, as
Fred pointss out, it can get shard of metal in the lower timing chain housing
and cause some nasty consequences. I woud either leave it out or run a weld
bead along a new one for reinforcement before installing a new one.

Perry Smith
'68 2000

roadster katman <roadster@rcn.com> wrote:
Hi Paul - I don't think you need to re-install the lower chain guide.

When I rebuilt my U-20 I left it out and the engine is still going
strong after about 15,000 miles. The old guide had broken, and I think
the metal debris from when it got kicked around caused spun bearings. So
I left it off during the rebuild.

(Hmmn, were roadsters made by Nissan? Could have fooled me.)

Fred
So.SF, Ca
'66 2L Lucy