Steering box u-joint?

To: "Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering box u-joint?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:25:57 -0500
  I'm in need of the universal joint on the late model steering box.  Since
the motor and tranny are out of my '69 1600, Teddy decided it would be a
good idea to check how tight the steering linkage was.  Three hours later
with grease up past his elbows, he had a new idler box installed.  The pivot
shaft in the old one looked like it had been used as an anchor for a year or
two and the PO had replaced the lower bushing with a hammer?  I'm glad that
got fixed while waiting for my tranny rebuild but I doubt Teddy will ever do
that again! (:-)
  We also noticed the steering box u-joint is beginning to wear and has some
slop in it.  Is the u-joint still available or do I have to buy the whole
assembly?  Or is it time to go used parts shopping?

Paul Kort
Ohio

PS  Looks like all I need to get the transmission back in shape is three new
bearings on the short shaft.  Then I should have the car ready for a long
ride to Road Atlanta this April!  I can't wait to get some miles on this
KA24E swap!