Getting my old car back

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting my old car back
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:47:37 -0800
Ok, it's not a Roadster, but it is a Datsun with an R16 engine...

I went to look at a bunch of old Datsuns here in Sacramento that a guy
advertised for sale.  The story went that he got them from an old man
who had stored them outside for many years.  I sold my 1967 RL411 sedan
to an old man who stored many of the cars outside on some property he
owned, so I was hoping but not holding my breath.  The first car I saw
was mine.  Broken front windshield, a few other broken windows (I'm
getting replacements for these as part of the deal), a destroyed trunk
latch, last registered in 1991, flat tires and a much rattier interior
than before, but otherwise pretty much what you'd expect of a car that
you'd last seen in 1989 and that hadn't had a thing done to it since then.

The engine bay is messy but complete; it turns by hand, perhaps a little
too easily.  I lucked out and found the key under the carpet, as the
owner said he didn't have keys to anything.  We hooked up my battery and
tried to start it, the solenoid clicked and the IGN light came on in the
instrument cluster, but that was all.  The positive battery cable
terminal was broken and not getting a good connection though.  I'll buy
new cables before I try to start it again.

With any luck I'll have it next Friday.  I'm paying almost as much as I
sold it for in 1989, when it was in much better condition, but hey,
prices change.  It has maybe 5,000 more miles on it than when I sold it,
and at that time it had a recently rebuilt transmission, new clutch, new
Midas exhuast, and it ran well.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I
can revive it.

I'm kinda psyched, can you tell?!? :-)

Adam
'70 1600