Re: roadster 5spd into 240Z ?

To: chalsted@adelphia.net ("C. Halsted"), datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: roadster 5spd into 240Z ?
From: DatsunDoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:35:44 -0500
Craig: My first advice would be to not do it. There are many better options
available today such as the 280ZX 5 speed that bolts in. I've used roadster
boxes in race 510's and almost always had vibration issues above 100 mph. Other
racers have had similar issues. Not a problem for most street drivers but makes
me nervous that it happens at all. I think there are some strange harmonics
that develop from having the external slip joint of the roadster box and the
fixed rear of 510 or 240. Some of that may be amplified by the short length of
the tranny/long drive shaft. You can swap the bellhousing and Nissan once sold
a longer tailshaft, shift rod, and drive shaft etc to convert the roadster box
to a long tailshaft version as sold for the Japan spec Z. Those parts may still
be available. Not sure but I doubt it. The tranny change doesn't change the
clutch options. Just make sure you use the throughout bearing carrier that was
designed for the given clutch package. Use the carrier for a Z if you retain
the stock Z car clutch package.

Mike Unger