Bucephalus kicking rubber

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Bucephalus kicking rubber
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:41:03 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
I got Bucephalus out on the autocross course yesterday.  This is the first time
out with the KA24DE installed.  The motor runs really well and has much more
torque and power than the U20 did.  It was kind of wet and cold at the track.
The car refused to hook up at either end.  Touching the throttle in any gear
resulted in massive wheelspin and loss of control.  I spun several times which
is uncharacteristic.  After the fifth run I realized that the rear tires had
been on their last legs and were now past their last legs.  There was a 3" wide
strip of cord showing for the full circumference of the tire.  It was still
pretty cold and a little wet so we installed our non-dot radial rain tires.
They held up pretty well and gave me a 10 second improvement on the course.
There was still not anything resembling traction on the course and we had a
hard time getting close to our competition.  He had brand new slicks and eneded
up running about 5 seconds faster than we did.  I was very pleased that the
motor swap worked without failure.  Now I just need to replace the old used up
slicks with sticky new ones.  Even with my bad tires my g-tech was showing 0.99
G's in the corners.

The next race is on the same track in two weeks.  I plan to have the new tires
installed by then.  I can't wait to see how the car performs with good tires.
I ordered 20x9.5x13 Hoosier R35 slicks.  They are super wide with cantilever
sidewalls to fit the 10.4" wide tires on a 7" wide rim.

Later,

Andy