Packing LSD

To: <datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Packing LSD
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:54:08 -0600
I took apart the LSD today because there was still a lot of wheelspin with the
new slicks. I also was able to spin one tire by hand with the other
stationary. It couldn't have been more than about 50 pounds of force to spin.
When I got it apart I found that it was the Belleville type LSD and the plates
and discs measured 1.73mm. I think that 1.75mm is the thinnest that they come
in so mine were worn down a little. I don't have any way to check preload and
don't have the time to build anything right now so I just added some shims and
will see how it works out. The Bob Sharp manual says to add between .025" and
.035" on the shims to get 230 pounds of preload. I added .035" by taking apart
one of my other differentials and pulling the shims from behind the pinion
bearing and putting the shims between the last Belleville plate and the case
end. I got everything back together and can no longer turn one wheel. I will
see how it does on the track on the 2nd and 3rd in Houston at the SCCA
National Tour. I still got a few bugs to work out on the car before then but I
should be ready in time.

Hope to see you there,

Andy Cost
http://community.webshots.com/album/267887557HfboLz