Re: Frozen Wheel!

To: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Frozen Wheel!
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
> My first thought was a seized caliper, but since the brakes are
> completely non-functional it didn't seem to make sense.

The brake pad itself has welded itself to the rotor.
You will at the least have to remove the retaining clip and
(using some sort of rod) hammer the pad out. It'll be stuck
pretty good and I wouldn't recommending reusing it :-)

The pads will probably be rusted onto the caliper as well.

You can't simply unbolt the pistons and pull them off because
the pads have a groove that locks them to the piston. You may,
however, be able to disconnect the flex line, then remove the
two big bolts that hold the entire caliper assembly onto the
car (Don't lose the thin spacer washers!) and somehow pry the
whole assembly off the rotor.

-- John
      John F Sandhoff  sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA