RE: Floor board holes - Includes Repair Log

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Floor board holes - Includes Repair Log
From: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jbtool.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:16:33 -0500
I wholeheartedly agree that it could be worse than it looks.  My '68
floor when through the following:

1.  No visible holes with ratty carpet in place
2.  Small holes visible at firewall and near the seat mounting holes
after carpet removal
3.  Much larger holes after breaking lose the rust
4.  Bunches of pinholes and other holes discovered after the tar mat is
removed.
5.  Spot repair may be possible with a couple repair panels from Ross...
6.  Body was media blasted exposing deep pitting and more floor holes.
7.  Full replacement required but full replacement panels unavailable.
8.  Fabricated new floors by assembling multiple replacement panels from
Ross
9.  Replaced the floors.
10. My body mounting brackets were shot requiring some elaborate fab
work.
11. Seem sealing, painting.
12. Solid floors once again.
13. Whew!

Some floor pictures at classicfairlady.com

One section of floor removed:
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=371&papass=&s
ort=1&thecat=500

Interior after paint (665 Yellow):
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=362&size=big&;
papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Underbody after paint (body mounting brackets are visible as is new
trunk floor):
http://www.classicfairlady.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=380&size=big&;
papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

My project required 30 or so repair panels due to a significant amount
of hidden rust and a fair amount of visible rust.

Do what you can to save the floor you have.  An aggressive treatment of
POR-15 or similar product now may greatly prolong the life of your
floor.  Spot repair is far easier than major replacement.

Good luck!

Eric A. Isaacson
erik_isaksen on classicfairlady.com
Fort Wayne, Indiana