it ain't no garage queen!

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: it ain't no garage queen!
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:15:34 -0600
  Well, some of you may appreciate and some may detest what I've
done to my 36 yr old car: I've JUST turned over 100,000 miles
**in the 8 years I've had it**.

  I would never have made it if it weren't for the folks that saved
me from my Shade Tree Mechanic abilities (um, handicap), with their
knowledge, parts, and assists. Notably this listgroup, our vendors,
and many WyCROCers including Mike Koken, Tom Hoagland, Gary Boone,
Eric Frisbee, etc.. Thanks y'all.
  It's incredible to think that I (stupidly) bought this car on a
whim, and a short time later my wife said she found out a husband
of a friend of hers was a roadster mechanic. Knows Datsun's? In
Colorado Springs? Yeah, right. Enter Mike Koken, who has saved my
@$$ too many times to count now..

  Lowlights: Over $11k spent, and body and interior still look like
crap; after 3 yrs since I tried (and fell in love with) autocrossing,
I haven't been able (to afford) to get it in 'adequate' autocross
condition (altho I'm getting there!); top leaks (ok, it's 8+ yrs
old); [Too] many 'lessons learned' trying to do cheap fixes; I've
spent more money fixing P.O. cr*p than actually restoring the car (I
suppose that's what 'restoring' is really all about, huh?).

  Highlights: It may look like crap, but it runs soooo sweeeeet.
Autocrossing.  Two 1,000 mile trips.  Many, MANY 100-300 mile trips.
Best tank ever: 39 mpg.  Autocrossing. 'Having' to frequently drive to
bossman's house (we're telecommuters) - with the sweetest mountain 2
lane twisty road you could ever ask for.  Did I mention autocrossing?
Meeting a boatload of roadster owners over the years, from SoCal to
VA.

  So I've been pondering lately whether I'm enjoying the ride enough
to 'justify' the expense and still have an ugly car, maybe it's time
to unload it. But I dunno, that's a lot of miles that I've had an
awful lot of fun with...

Enjoy the Ride,

dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co