RE: -6 - 3/8" npt?

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: -6 - 3/8" npt?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:15:11 -0700
Oops, sorry, I misread that. Got distracted by the -6, I guess. Common on
race cars to go all dash lines.

>From what I've read, I believe the following to be (mostly) true:

AN fittings appear to only come in even-numbered increments, and the numbers
are based on 1/16" units. So a -6 is 6/16" or 3/8". Therefore a 5/16" would
be a -5, but there is no -5 that I have ever seen.

AN fittings use straight threads and 37-degree flares, while most pipe
fittings are tapered. SAE fittings use 45-degree flares, so don't try to mix
them with AN.

It seems like someone would have been smart enough to make a line adapter in
two different NPT sizes, but it really doesn't look like it.

If I remember correctly, the 2000 had 1/4" lines stock. I converted mine to
all 5/16" (I think) a long time ago, all the way from the pickup tube in the
tank. It likely wasn't worth the effort, but you know how those things go.
You get a wild idea and just go with it.

Gordon