Spark Plugs

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spark Plugs
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:11:16 -0700
A good article on issues/tips when upgrading your ignition.
http://corvettefever.com/techarticles/153_0503w_plug/

Bosch does not list ANY plug for our cars. I called them to inquire about the
+4 Platinum plugs and got a very uncooperative tech.
The +4 plugs have a performance gaurantee. If they don't improve the way your
car runs & increase gas milage, they will give you your money back.
Their site says independent testing showed an average of 4.8% improvement in
mileage. Not bad. Just for the hell of it, I'll try them. Hmm.
Well, after pressing the tech for a while, he suggests part # 4417 ('88 civic
DX, 1.5L, NGK# BCPR6ES-11, .o44" gap) ok should work. Then the kicker.
+4 plugs are application made ONLY. That is, If you use them on an application
they were not reccomended for, there is no gaurantee. So tell them it's for
your Honda!  (5% doesn't sound like much, but on a daily driver getting 35 mpg
@ one tank a week, would be over 900 extra miles per year.)
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/SparkPlugs/

Lots of good info.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/index.asp?nav=31200&cou
ntry=US

Laser spark plugs anyone?
http://weekendpundit.blogmosis.com/lastweekend/026438.html

E3 plugs, time will tell. (Thanks Sidney Raper)
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/020503.html

Autolite - Notice the electrode cut back to expose more mixture to the spark.
www.autolite.com/tech/HeatRangeFacts.pdf

"Sonic" spark plugs! They take a regular plug and drill a "sonic" size hole in
the ground electrode!
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/productreviews/fr/aafpr092802.htm

Article on platinum plugs:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm120032.htm

Ahhh. the GOOD one! Radioactive plugs!
http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/sparkplugs.htm

And the one that started me on this reading binge.
http://www.robertstanley.biz/firestorm.htm

So what do I get after reading all this crap? A HEADACHE!!!!  It would take a
thorough testing such as Consumer Reports does to sort the truth from the crap
being dished out here. Bosch is the only known reputable company with a decent
gaurantee, but not for our cars. Other than that there is no clear "winner" in
the spark plug performance wars.
My advice would be to upgrade to a good electronic ignition, go to at least a
.043" spark gap (NGK reccomends the -11 version for that gap, they don'e
reccomend a change of more than .008" to the supplied gap. So, #BPR6ES-11 )
and a decent set of leads.
But then, I am not a mechanic, what the hell do I know! My car isn't even
running!!!
Hey, Mallory, how's that ignition system coming along? ;-)
Cheers
Daryl