5spd Diesel truck transmission.

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5spd Diesel truck transmission.
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:30:24 -0700
 I would first like to thank everyone on this list that has been so helpful
with sharing information regarding the roadster in general, and the many
specific requests I have made regarding my "Frankenstein" rebuild. This list
is still a fantastic resource, with a lot of knowledge to benefit from! And a
lot of nice folks too! (I tend to ignore the crackpots.)

This time in particular it was Ron Hamilton, Slowboy(?), and Stan that pointed
me in the right direction. Thankyou.

I went to the wreckers and was able to locate and buy the deisel tranny. From
looking at it I am sure it will bolt up to our cars. I will not be able to
actually try it for a week or so. but it looks like a keeper. This is the same
basic transmission that was used in the 200SX, 280Z & ZX, and in the 300ZX as
well as almost all the pickups, and the 240SX. The difference is in the
bellhousing on the deisel which moves the starter to the drivers side for our
cars. A few points from visual inspection and little info I have been told
(this is yet to be rock solid confirmed):

1. Same length as 4 spd, looks like same shifter position.
    There are different tailshaft lengths (from other transmissions), so this
should be able to be different if required for a 5spd roadster.

2. Transmission mount is about 2" further back.

3. Speedo connection is further back, and on the opposite side

4. It is a very nice shifting transmission, and I'm told quite robust.

5. The 1600 drive shaft just slides right in.

The only things I can see that need modifications right now, are the
transmission mount, and the speedo connection. I will make an update as soon
as I am able to finnish the install.

Hope some of you can benefit from this info.

One last thing: **NOT CONFIRMED** I believe I read somewhere that the front
half of this series of transmission is the same, whether a 4 spd or 5spd.
SO..IF there was a deisel sold with a 4spd, and that is all you can find, you
MAY be able to mate it with a 5spd backhalf. ***MAYBE*** I have not been able
to find any info specific to the deisel trucks at all, so there is some home
work for someone else to do......

I have taken some pictures of the transmission beside a roadster 4spd for
comparison, but being somewhat of a computer idiot, I can't figure out how to
put them up. email me and I will forward them to you.

I now have a deisel truck transmission to go with the forklift motor in my
sportscar!!!

Cheers
Daryl