Re: Boiled brake fluid (was "RE: SoCalROC Angeles Crest ride

To: Pete Peters <ppeters914@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Boiled brake fluid (was "RE: SoCalROC Angeles Crest ride
From: Victor Laury <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:37:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>>I boiled my brake fluid twice (not fun)!

>Pete Asked - What exactly does that mean?

My fluid is contaminated with water, as brake fluid will, over time. I've been
told over and over again, by many people that I know I should listen to, that
you should completely change your brake fluid once a year (Gordon G. and Tom
W.), with high quality fluid (Castrol GT-LMA). What I did as a Lazy stop-gap
was to suck out the reservoir and put nice clean fluid in before the shows.
Meanwhile, down at the calipers, the fluid is past it's prime.

Repetitive heavy braking, like I did yesterday, heats up the fluid in the
calipers, past the boiling point of water. So the water boils off leaving you a
nice big vapor pocket just where brake fluid needs to be. This is not
recommended! Do not try this at home or any mountain road near you.

So, yesterday, I bought a gallon of Castrol juice off of Amazon.com as none of
my local parts houses carry it any more. And within the next two weeks the Z
and roadster will get a complete flush job.

Victor Still in one piece
Downtown Los Angeles
70 SRL
http://www.fotki.com/datsunvic/