Precision shifting 4 sp transmission - one technique

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Precision shifting 4 sp transmission - one technique
From: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jbtool.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:56:03 -0500
Greetings,

In reference to the transmission control diagram.
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/33-1.gif

Thanks again to my employer, a tool and die shop, for repairing the
shift linkage of my 4 sp servo synchro transmission.  After many years
of use, the shift linkage was so worn that the end of the shift knob
could move 2-3 inches before moving the shift shaft (#43).  The end of
the shift shaft was worn, and the "control lever bracket" (#51, 51) was
worn to a taper (from shifting left to right).  Lastly, the connecting
pin (#49) was worn and the hole in the shift shaft and control lever
bracket were elongated (shifting front to rear).

The taper was removed from the control lever bracket via a mill and a
grinder.  A TIG welder was used to build up the shift shaft to
accommodate for wear and subsequently ground to the new control lever
bracket fork width, minus 0.005".  The elongated holes were increased in
size until round and a new pin was manufactured to the new hole size.

The joint action is now precise.  I cannot wait to try it out.  Of
course, I still cannot wait to drive the car for the first time!

Eric A. Isaacson
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1968 Datsun 1600 Sports
1978 Datsun 280Z