Re: Voltage regulators

To: dcorbitt77@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Voltage regulators
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:23:58 EDT
Dave,

    Went through the regulator thing not long ago. One  of the resistors is
center tapped. Looks like two in the diagram but one in the  box. The diagram
in the book seemed accurate but it took some real head  scratching to track
down all the connections. As I recall R1 and R3 is the  tapped resistor, with
the
center going to the field. The VC2 relay is the one  that actually adjusts
the voltage. My diagram shows the battery lead going to  the A terminal on the
regulator, I believe it actually goes to the large post on  the alternator that
is connected internally. If the A lead between the  alternator and the
regulator is open ( a white wire according to the book) the  regulator will see
zero
volts from the battery and will run the alternator wide  open. The VC2 relay
will not get pulled and R1 will be shorted all the time  boosting the field
current. The VC1 coil is powered by the armature coils  directly. The book
shows
an idiot light. No armature voltage, no VC1 pull in,  idiot light on. When
VC1 pulls in it powers VC2 and starts voltage regulation.  Like I said, lots of
head scratching. After all that, check the white wire, the  A lead, between
the alternator and regulator. On mine the connection in the plug  was corroded.
Cleaned it up, added a little dielectric grease and it's been fine  since.

keith williams

In a message dated 10/6/2005 9:10:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,