RE: LEDs

To: <slowboy@cox.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LEDs
From: "limprod" <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:06:59 -0700
Try to find a DOT approved replacement or at least a replacement with the same
output of a 1157 15/50W(?).

I kind of doubt US-DOT has specifications for patterns because tail lights seem
to come in every shape imagined.  They do have spec for distance visibility and
angle of visibility.

LED for automotive use is somewhat new.  The last time I looked in 1999 there
were no DOT approved LED replacements to be found.  These days I am sure they
are easy to find, but not as easy as the number of _non-approved road use_ LED
replacements you will find everywhere else.

If you are still looking for brightness, go with a small LED cluster of high
flux LEDs over a cluster of 24 LEDs.  A single 5W Luxeon (Lumileds and others)
LED will be annoying enough to follow (and probably illegal with its output of
120 lumens); if not try mounting a Class IIIA laser pointer; or if you want to
leave a "lasting impression", a 40W CO2 laser.  =D

http://www.synrad.com/movies/labelcut.mpg

[Why bother wasting energy getting upset to the point of wanting to shoot people
on the freeway?   Wouldn't you feel better scribing in "LUSER [You cut me off]"
on his/her car paint instead?]

I finally finished unburying and removed all combustible items around the SRL to
see if she would fire up after 8 or so months.  It started!  .. but it's raining
here in So Cal.   Now only if I had the convertible top attached.  Well, it's
not like I had doors or fenders anyways.... Once around the park James!  ...or
is it, "Drive the kah 'round the pahk"?