Late model windshield trim install question

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late model windshield trim install question
From: Gary Boone <gaboone70@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:32:36 -0600
Hey roadster friends,
On my '70 2000, I'm trying to insert the stainless steel trim into the
rubber windshield gasket prior to a new windshield being installed.
I'm leaving the windshield install to the pros since high windshields
seem to be extinct now, but thought I could at least get the trim
installed in the gasket first.  I've tried to slide the trim through the
gasket groove which is not working.  I've tried to roll the gasket into
the trim's groove and that's not working either.

The gasket is new and I've lubricated the gasket and cleaned the groove
in the trim.

What's the trick?  Thanks for any suggestions.
Gary Boone
Cheyenne, WY