Thank God for Datsun Roadsters

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thank God for Datsun Roadsters
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 19:08:11 -0600
I don't want to hear any more sniveling about how hard it is to get the back
bolt on the intake manifold or what special tools are required to remove the
bottom bolt on the brake master cylinder.

I just spent the better part of two days trying to get the transmission out of
a 1984 BMW 325.  I still don't have it out.  A common problem with these cars
is that the ears break off of the throwout bearing collar.  The little pieces
of shrapnel rattle around in the bell housing until they knock the magnetic
pickup/refernece pin off the flywheel.  At that point the car stops running.
The little pin is spot welded on.  I spent several hours trying to get the
driveshaft off.  Now I can't get the tranny unbolted from the motor.  It takes
three sizes of inverted torx sockets and a 3 foot long extension.  Hopefully
tomorrow when the stores all open up I can find the one inverted torx socket
that I'm missing, an M16.  I don't know how I'm going to fix it.  I may have
to buy a $342 flywheel.  I may be able to weld the pin back on or tapp and
bolt it on.

Since I didn't have the right socket and the stores were all closed today I
had time to work on the race car.  I am using a KA24DE motor in my E-Modified
Datsun Roadster.  I am in the process of installing an Eaton blower.  Today I
made a template out of MDF for the aluminum adaptor that will bolt between the
blower and intake manifold.  I was concerned that the car would gain too much
weight when the blower was installed.  I weighed the blower and the upper
intake manifold and found that the blower is only a few pounds heavier than
the upper intake manifold.  You can see some photos at the following links:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/267887557/528601338wBUyCp
http://community.webshots.com/photo/267887557/528601505IUDieU
http://community.webshots.com/photo/267887557/528601236BnxaRi

I really don't know what will happen to the Eaton blower with it installed
upside down.  I think it will be just fine but who knows if it will lubricate
properly or if stress cracks will develop in the housing.

I really don't know how much boost to expect.  The unit isn't designed to spin
faster than 11,000 rpms.  On the KA24DE with a 6" pulley on the crank and a 3"
pulley on the blower and a 7000 rpm redline the blower will be turning 14,000
rpms.  I think it will hold together.  I am going to try it first with an
unorthedox underdrive crank pulley.  If the boost isn't enough ( it never is)
then I'll put the stock crank pulley back on.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and give thanks for the ease of maintenance
on your Roadster.

Andy Cost