rust paranoia

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: rust paranoia
From: James Hoffman <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:33:22 -0800 (PST)
I am interested in hearing anybody's ideas on undercarraige cleaning.

  Let's say I follow the advice of every classic car shopping resource, and as
a result have held out for rust free before purchase.  Now I am naturally rust
paranoid.

  When the time finally comes to enjoy the car what happens when I get caught
in a rainstorm.  I'd like to have an outdoor lift, a pressure washer with warm
water, an assortment of brushes, a mild cleaner/degreaser, and a beautiful day
to get the underside sparkling.  Pick any two.  Seriously, assuming the road is
salt free how bad is it to drive a classic with very little rust protection in
the rain and what does one do afterward?

  Would anyone like to give the number of body drain holes our cars have that
should be inspected?  What panels can I remove for inspection and cleaning?
What parts should be Waxoyled and why is that product popular in England but
not here?

  Any info is appreciated.

  Eric Hoffman