Re: 5 speed

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 speed
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:27:24 -0800
> what are the options for upgarding an early 67 4 speed tranny?  can i put
> in
> a 240/260/280 5 speed?  datsun truck?  suggestions?  is it better to just
> put in the 2000 5 speed?

Easiest solution: Put in the 2000 5 speed.

But you have choices. The 260/280 5spd and the 240SX 5spd can be made to
work using a diesel p/u bellhousing (or the whole transmission....).
the 260/280 would be next easiest (less mods required) then the 240SX. I
guess this "may" vary depending on whether you find a diesel p/u with a "B"
or "C" (?)style transmission.

I used the diesel bellhousing to fit a 240SX 5spd into my '66, but I had to:

1.Do some machine work inside the bellhousing
2.Cut and weld the frame to make it fit (your install may differ)
3.Cut a chunk of "webbing" on the side of the bellhousing to clear the body
on the drivers side.
4. Shorten the driveshaft.

This required that I remove the body from the frame (not that hard) and
takes some time and somebody with fabricating/welding skills.

I have yet to drive the car as I haven't sorted the new engine, but
hopefully very soon.

Most of the information is in the archives, or look here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18624&highlight=#18624
Also a "mikew" in Australia has a 260Z trans mounted:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15520&highlight=#15520

I am a little behind on the writeup I promised the list but, have lots of
pictures. If anyone would like a few let me know and I'll try to put some
together in some sort of order.

Daryl