On the road again !

To: roadster Datsun <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: On the road again !
From: Mike Bailey <bailey@digishoppe.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:27:11 -0600
Well after many years this 69 2K is back on the road. This particular
car was wrecked in the mid-70s and hasn't been licensed to drive since
then. Believe it or not it has a little over 48000 original miles on it.
http://digishoppe.com/datsun-display

Many thanks to Steve Ehlers of Rising Sun Performance of Fort Worth
Texas and his impeccable efforts.
<http://members.tripod.com/~sehlers/RisingSun.html> Among the many tasks
Steve performed was a complete overhaul of the fuel system, including a
refurbished fuel tank with the interior surface lined with Teflon. The
carburetors were completely overhauled including countersinking holes in
the carb housings to accept bearings which hold the throttle shafts in
place and makes the carbs truly better than original. The emission
control system was "modified" for a nice clean look and the ignition
system now sports a a Pertronix electronic ignition system. A new
radiator fan was installed so it doesn't "roar"like the originals.
During the brake system overhaul the lines were flushed and silicone oil
based brake fluid was used rather than the conventional DOT 3. The
engine itself had a complete overhaul many years ago, but the car was
never put on the road. Even though the overhaul had virtually no miles
on it the head gasket had lost it seal and had to be replace too.

I also need to thank my close friend Sean Hamilton who was motivated to
take on this project and got it to very nearly driving condition in
2002. Sadly, the demands of his new job would not allow him to complete
this project in which he had poured so much sweat and effort into. If
there is one regret I have it is that Sean is now in North Carolina and
we can't take the car out for a spin. Perhaps we can remedy that someday.

The day I got it back from the Rising Sun Performance two weeks ago was
of course the coldest day of the year. Until that day I had never had a
chance to drive it. The roadster had literally been towed everywhere
over the past 30 years. But now that I have had a chance to drive it I
realize what a joy they are to drive.

BTW: You can see by the photos of the trunk I still need the jack base
that holds down the spare tire. If someone out there has a spare they
are willing to let go please let me know.

-mike