Re: Ethanol

To: Barney D Murphy <BMURPHY@scana.com>
Subject: Re: Ethanol
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:53:13 -0700
> Is anyone using the ethanol mix gas, either E10 or E85 in their stock
> Roadster? What problems could one expect if they use these fuels in
> a vehicle that is not a true "FFV" (Flex Fuel Vehicle)?

Here in CA (and probably much of the States) the 'gasoline' we get
is about 10 percent ethanol already. Bleech. (Though much preferred
to MTBE).

Too much ethanol will cause the rubber components to deteriorate -
fuel lines, fuel pump diaphragm, needle valve seals. It's corrosive, too,
and may damage the steel lines and tank.

The second problem is that a specific quantity of gasoline has more
energy than the same quantity of ethanol (all measured in BTUs per
pound, as I recall). This means that you need to 'richen' the mixture if
you're running E85 - richer than the stock 'gas' jets are going to be able
to adjust for.

The 'old school' Holley manuals (days of Tetra Ethyl Lead and mid 90's
octane at the pump) warn that exceeding 8 percent ethanol can't be
adjusted for, 'cause the carbs of the day can't flow enough liquid.

Fuel injection and modern day fuel components allow today's engines
to adjust on the fly, of course.

-- John