Re: new to the roadster scene

To: "Kurt Fuller" <KFULLER@foursquare.org>
Subject: Re: new to the roadster scene
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:59:36 -0700
> ...I was surprised @ how much plumbing is strapped to that little
> motor.   Being a So Cal car how much of that is smog stuff I can remove?

Sure it's a '69 and not a '70? A lot of extra stuff was added to the '70
engines.

As of '69, your smog stuff consists of:

Air injector pump and associated (air pump, anti-backfire valve, check
valve, exhaust port injector rail and tips). Many engines have had this
equipment removed.

PCV system, which consists of a hose from the valve cover to the
air cleaner. IMHO this hose should stay put, it helps keep your
engine innards clean.

Retimed distributor which includes a three port vacuum valve tied
into the distributor vacuum advance (old age syndrome: Was this
on only the 2 liters? I don't recall it on my '68 1600). Best thing you
can do for performance is to put in a retimed distributor and move
from the '68-70 setting of zero degrees BTDC to the pre-'68 setting
of 16 degrees BTDC. Huge difference! You MUST retime the
distributor, though, or else you'll end up running 50 degree advance
at some points which is not typically a good thing :-)

As I recall, that's about it. That 'second' fuel line from the back of the
carbs returning to the tank is NOT smog control, it is anti-vapor lock.
Leave it alone.

In '70, they added hoses from the carb vents to the air cleaner, an
evap control system in the trunk, an anti-diesel air valve in the intake
manifold, and extra wiring on the tranny/clutch.

What did I miss?

-- John