RE: Power Bleeder?

To: "'Paul'" <9laser3@bright.net>,
Subject: RE: Power Bleeder?
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:24:46 -0700
Paul,

I know Leigh Brooks bought one and used it on Zippy (his '69), but he's on
his honeymoon right now, and, as hard as it is to believe, not checking
email. <g> He did mention it works great, however, it's a bit messy when
you're finished. This was discussed recently in the 311s.org forums.

The key thing is to extend a tube down so that, when you're finished, you
lower the power bleeder below the level of the master cylinder, and then
loosen the cap a bit to relieve the pressure. By being lower, the fluid will
drain down back into the power bleeder. By having the tube extended, it will
bleed back below the level of the master cylinder cap, thus minimizing (if
not eliminating) fluid spilling when you remove the bleeder cap from the
master cylinder.

The other safety item is to secure the bleeder cap (clamp, tie wraps,
whatever) to prevent the cap blowing off under pressure.

Here are the links to the forum discussion and the how-to make your own
bleeder (which I'm in the process of doing right now):

<http://www.311s.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4425>

<http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm>

Cheers.

                    `  ___  '