Re: Suspension rebuild - how much slop is too much?

To: "Eric Johnson" <snakeranch2@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Suspension rebuild - how much slop is too much?
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:34:10 -0400
Good write-up by Eric - I'd add a plastic dead-blow hammer to the list of
tools.  Comes in real handy for applying an impact load, but because the
face is soft, no danger of deforming metal.  PB Blaster is my rust penetrant
of choice after trying most everything out there.   Spray it down good and
let it sit overnight, then repeat before attempting to break things loose.

Another handy tool for really rust frozen bolts and taper pins is a
heat-wrench aka torch.  Most folks don't , have oxy-acetylene and propane
torches usually don't get it hot enough.  When I was out on our land last
fall, working on the steering on a recently purchased backhoe, I encountered
a real bugger of a taper pin - so frozen in place that a bottle jack lifting
the whole tractor (10,000 pounds) wouldn't budge it.  Didn't want to haul my
shoulder high oxy-ac setup down there, so I bought a $49 MAPP gas/oxy setup
at Lowes.  The kit has a mixing valve, hoses, and uses 2  bottles the same
size as a propane torch.  Enough heat for the job with plenty left over for
future portable needs..

Powder coat, POR, and other pricey products work very well, but all require
good surface prep.  I've found that a good etching primer, topped with satin
black Rustoleum lasts a good long time on car that's driven for fun but not
daily.  Did my Z that way 13 years ago, and it still looks good from below.
Never in the snow or salt though....

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH