RE: Radiator/hose/block temperatures

To: rlabate@sbcglobal.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Radiator/hose/block temperatures
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 19:35:11 -0400
Interesting.
Did these symptoms develop suddenly or over time?  That's part of the
equation.
Normally a stuck shut thermostat would give you a cool radiator.
A collapsed hose would give you a cool radiator.
The extraordinarily rare problem of an impellor falling off a water pump
would give you a
cool radiator.

However, a radiator that had become gradually corroded and less effective
might give you about the symptoms you have here.

A cool 160deg thermostat might help.  Putting the thermostat in a pan of
water and using your machine to see when it opens might show that its
opening at too high a temp....just some things to look at.

Some kind of excessive lean condition or too much spark advance might give
you this, but the car would probably knock and run bad also.

That's my armchair engineering answer!
Tell the list what it is when you figure it out.

If you get the rad re-cored, might want to add a row of cooling coils.

Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia