Re:

To: "Darren Oto" <darren@that-thar.com>,
Subject: Re:
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 08:54:33 -0400
Darren,
Someone who's done the RX7 swap may reply, but if not, here's some info that
should help.

I did an axle swap using a Mustang 8.8LSD on a '66 1600.  To know how much
to cut, you have to know the dimensions of the stock axle, and compare them
to the transplant.  Three measurements that you'll need are the width across
the mounting surfaces, how much, if any, the pinion is offset from center,
and spring perch locations.

On a '66 Roadster, the stock axle is 48-1/4" from drum to drum ( wheel
mounting surfaces).  The pinion is offset from C/L by 1" towards the
passenger side. The perches are centered 34-7/8" apart.  I'm guessing the
2000 axle would be the same, but hopefully someone else on the list can
confirm.

The Mustang axle was 59-1/4" drum-to-drum, and the pinion offset a little
under an inch to passenger side. Since the  pinion location was offset the
same, the difference of 11" was split in two, with 5-1/2" per side to be
removed.  The Mustang uses coil springs and a control arm setup, so all that
had to removed ( cut off and ground smooth).

Because the 8.8 housing tubes are much larger in diameter than the
Roadster's, the stock bump stops wouldn't fit.  Instead, I used two pairs of
perches, one set below for mounting the springs, and one set above, with a
nut welded in to be able to screw in single post, urethane bump stops.
Energy Suspension makes these in various heights - got mine at Summit
racing.

There is a hires, printable sketch that I did for the axle shop, and a bunch
of photos and details of the finished axle on my site.
http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/  "5-18-03 Axle, Engine, Tranny"
link in the left frame.

If the RX7 axle has a different pinion offset, just adjust how the
difference in width is split up to put the pinion at the proper 1" offset
from center.

Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH