RE: U20 cold valve settings

To: "'Brad and Gayle Holmes'" <bradandgayle@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: U20 cold valve settings
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 10:24:31 +0930
I'm getting ready to install my Boone Dizzy and wanted to set the valves
before I started. Unfortunately, I still have enough of the engine removed
that I can't run the engine yet and set them hot.
1. Should I just wait until I can run it and set them hot?
2. If I can and or should set them cold, what are the setting for a cold
engine?

Brad Holmes

Hi Brad,
I would advise doing a cold setting.
The valves should be at spec. before you attempt to crank the engine.
Valve clearance: -
Intake 0.2mm[0.007874"]
Exhaust 0.3mm[0.011811"]
These are HOT values but as Kubla Khan once said, "You gotta start
somewhere!"

Below is a quote from page 20 of the Nissan U20 Engine and 5 speed
transmission Service Manual: -
CAUTION:
DO NOT adjust the valve clearance with the engine running because the rocker
arms and valves are forcibly lubricated from camshaft oil gallery.
So, hot engine yes, running engine NO!

6:01 PM