[Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Header Frustration - ideas?
From: "Nathaniel Leeds" <nmleeds@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:09:29 -0800
I'm having a bunch of frustration with my header.

First frustration: it keeps eating the head-pipe gasket. I've now blown two
apart in 500 miles. Now I'm not a master mechanic but how do you mess up
putting in a head-pipe gasket? One friend said that I need to go to a copper
gasket. Anybody with a similar experience?

Second frustration: it looks like my header is leaking at the base
(head-pipe side) where the four tubes are welded together. I took it in to
the welder who fixed it the first time and he said that he'd had a hard time
fixing the header the first time and with a second leak 500 miles later he
suggested I save my money and just buy a new header. What are people's
experiences with the after-market headers -- do they last, or am I going to
be sending my welder's children through college?

Nathaniel
p.s. Thanks warning me about the jack.